View of Colt’s 10th green on the New Course 1924
Harry Colt was born in 1869 and learned golf on nearby Malvern Common, being educated at Monkton Combe School, Bath. At Cambridge University he became a well known Golfer, captaining the team in 1890, later playing in many Amateur and one Open Championship. On graduating, he became a solicitor in Hastings, a member of the R and A, and of its Rules Committee.
In 1900 he became Secretary of Sunningdale Golf Club from 400 applicants. He thoughtfully redesigned some holes on the Willie Park Old Course, and the reception inspired him to seek increasing leave to develop a career as a course designer, finally leaving Sunningdale in 1913, though remaining a member and on its Green Committee.
At his death in 1951 he had designed 115 courses, many now considered classics, and 300 in partnership, including Europe, North and South America, and Asia. In 1923 he created the Sunningdale New Course, and in 1924 was Club Captain. After the Simpson redesign in 1934 Colt and JSF Morrison arrived at today’s layout in 1939. His years at Sunningdale are covered in a chapter in his biography, Colt &Co, by Fred Hawtree.
Further details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Colt